Target market?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:29:42 UTC 2007

Shouldnt we both be in bed right now?

On 7/25/07, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 00:52 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> > For me the lack of Red Hat leadership has been a long problem. It
> > comes across as "we want this to be community driven." but that ends
> > up with a problem whenever some internal issue crosses it. Most of
> > this comes from the Red Hat people really trying to be nice guys all
> > the time, and not tick off anyone.. but it comes across as hidden
> > agendas and other issues.
> >
> > At this point, I think we will be stumbling through F8 and probably F9
> > unless some people stand up and make some decisions that are going to
> > tick off people... or we decide that we are just focusing on becoming
> > the Debian of the RH world... and helping others build their Ubuntus
> > off of it.
>
> this is the heart of the issue. It's been suggested that Fedora should
> act more like ubuntu in various ways. But ubuntu is only like that b/c
> canonical the company has said it will be like that.

The counter point to that would be that Fedora is that way because
either Red Hat has said it will be like that, or has not said enough.

> where do we draw the line around what is fedora? Does fedora include all
> the packagers, contributors, translators and people working on
> infrastructure? Does fedora include all of the above and all the folks
> who work for red hat and whose software end up in fedora? Are the people
> developing libvirt, for example, are they fedora developers or red hat
> developers?  Where we draw that line determines where our technical
> direction comes from. Where our direction comes from should decide what
> our target market needs to be and needs to be communicating and
> acquiring goals from the user base of fedora.

Yes, I think these are some really hard questions that need to be
answered. There are days where I think that the Fedora Core should
just have been just enough to spin other groups and everything else
was a SIG.

kernel+glibc+bash+python+gcc+revisor

If the Gnome people want a shiney clean desktop they build a SIG and
push it so that their defined desktop is ready for a spin within 2
weeks of X fedora core is done. etc.

Well I am off to bed now.