Target market?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jul 25 08:48:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 02:02 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 7/25/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > > So if we take this out to it's next obvious conclusion: where does that
> > > leave the upstream consumer of Fedora: RHEL? Or any server-oriented
> > > initiative based around fedora, for that matter?
> > I am quite irritated whenever reading about "servers" vs. "desktop"
> > vs. ...
> >
> > IMO, servers, desktops etc. are "just setups" of one an the same modular
> > basis. They don't necessarily collide.
> >
> > If they do, to me this means deficiencies of the setup tools and/or
> > packaging.
> >

> THe collision is about resources of who si going to focus on what.
IMO, the "who" and the tools they are using are the key

>  The
> terms are used because for the most part, people rolling out large
> number of servers use different timeframes for technology renewal than
> people rolling out desktops. I have a good number of servers that are
> still running RHEL-3 and will probably be running them til 2009 or so.
> My clients want desktops with newer stuff and so RHEL-5 is already
> cramped for rollout. The conflict is that server software wants a lot
> of long term support, and desktop support doesnt.

FWIW: My primary focus/usage is "application development", so neither
"bleeding edge, eye-candy-ladden desktops" nor "stone-age technology
based servers" (hyperboles intented) are much of interest. I need a
compromise between "stable desktop" and "a new, but not bleeding edge
devel-infrastructure" (exactly what Fedora had provided so far).

Both are reasons, why most Fedora competitors are widely non-interesting
to me.

>  WIth a limited
> number of engineering resources.. you have a conflict.
Well, IMO wrt. FE, a lot of these conflicts (and the work-load you
complained about on a parallel thread) are home-made.

It's lack of efficiency being caused by lack of simplicity of the
infrastructure being used (bodhi, koji, cvs, acls, distribution
packaging (CD/DVDs) ).

As I see it, RH should focus their forces on improving this
infrastructure to give interested contributors room to step in.

Ralf