Fedora Social Contract

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 30 16:59:45 UTC 2007

Yaakov Nemoy wrote:

> Perhaps I'm being misunderstood here.  I'm not looking to restrict Red
> Hat from benefiting, and I'm suprised that was inferred from my
> comments, since it certainly wouldn't make any sense to say that about
> the company that pays my paycheck.

If any potential contributor wants any kind of guarantee that Red Hat
should not benefit from their contributions, they should not contribute
under any open license at all. The point is that if you contribute to
Fedora or any Free software project for that matter, the community and
Red Hat as a part of it might be benefit from it. This benefit goes both
way and is a major part of the Fedora Project and Linux. The guarantee
from Fedora Project is that your contributions will be always Free and
open to everyone in the community and not just Red Hat and I believe
this is a sensible understanding that you can convey to any skeptic.

> Those objectives certainly do go a long way to defining it; somehow I
> haven't seen that page before.  If I were to write a Social Contract,
> having read them, I might just rip them off wholesale, since they are
> very good. :)

I think the list of objectives which is referred to from the about page
already serves the purpose you outline very well. In other words, do you
see a need for a social contract that is different from what is
described in the list of objectives?

Rahul