Lessons Learned

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Mar 22 12:50:32 UTC 2007

On 22.03.2007 13:31, Christian Iseli wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:00:50 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> To summarize my opinion:

Just to note: it is IMHO a general thing -- the wiki move was only meant
as an example.

> I think reorganizing the wiki was a necessary
> thing, and I'm glad and thankful Rahul did it.

+1

>  I'm aware he sent
> messages to the list a while ago about the need to do a reorg.  My only
> kind request is as noted above: "send a shout on maintainers and/or
> devel right *before* starting to do bold changes in the organizations",
> where bold means it's going to affect more than a couple maintainers
> and/or users.  Something with a clear deadline so that people know they
> have to react quickly if they have objections, e.g. "in a few hours
> I'll start moving pages around in such and such way, please yell now or
> keep your peace" and later "changes done", rather than "I just moved
> pages around in such and such way, just so you know"

+1

> No need for lengthy discussions in general.  Just an advance warning
> with a short deadline please.

I'd say "short" should be at least 48 or 72 hours for a task that was
controversial discussed without a outcome beforehand, as "simply doing
stuff" otherwise looks like "I do it my way now without bothering what
the others say". That would be bad IMHO for a community project.

CU
thl