Secondary ARCH

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Mar 5 19:06:28 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 12:51:07 pm Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > What's needed other than a set of output rpms and isos?  From what I
> > remember of the meeting we had a few months ago we expected secondary
> > arch builds to happen on contributed machines, but wanted to host final
> > bits.  That should be our target, right?
>
> If we do that and these variations add patches, how do we ensure that
> they dont have trojans or exploits?

We have to trust them to an extent.   any patches that need adding for one
arch will get applied in the base SCM and a build will get issued for all
archs.  so we will see commits from arch teams.

> > i.e. are there other things that we need to have in place for adding
> > capacity down the road?  And what capacity is it?  We need a little
> > brainstorming.
>
> * Process for new folks interested to create Fedora for architecture X -
> Owners, bug tracking, build system, hosting.

They will need to provide resources and show they have something viable.  They
the board can choose to add them or not.   we also need to work out what to
do when an arch no longer is maintained.  how to we drop it.

> * Figure out how secondary architectures can become primary ones
> * Do we want to move PPC as a secondary architecture?

When it is proven that secondary archs work yes

> * Alpha. We probably need to contact the Alphacore
> (http://alphacore.info/) folks and ask if they are interested. Note that
> CentOS 4.2 and above has alpha core support.
Sure we need to give them the opportunity.

--
Dennis Gilmore, RHCE