copyright year question

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 22:36:10 UTC 2007

We had a question come up, as I was updating some copyright years in a
few documents.  What is the proper practice for writing and maintaining
years of copyright?  We have documents that may represent a
work-in-time, and Websites that represent work-across-time.

Should we only specify the years that new content was added to a body?

Can we span years, e.g. "(c) 2003 - 2007", and have 2005 and 2006
included?  Or do we need to enumerate specific years that content is
added for it to be protected?  I.e., "(c) 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007".

Should we update copyright for all documents to the current year, just
in case?  Either by enumerating all intervening years or doing a span,
whichever is proper.

Does the copyright in the footer on a site cover all content?  Or should
some content have individual copyright dates?  Or all content have only
the dates they had content written, such as "(c) 2003, 2005, 2007"?

Can we distill this to a set of questions for a lawyer?  Or do we have a
practice we can use that covers us no matter what?

Regardless, I'd like us to set a practice and follow it across all our
content publication areas, source code to documentation.  Do you agree?

Thanks - Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project