@FESCo (and in parts maybe for the Board, too): How to handle packaging issues for EPEL?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Mar 18 14:38:25 UTC 2007

Hi,

there are more and more discussions about packaging issues in EPEL
(repotag, fedora-usermgmt) where people request EPEL-specific packaging
rules that are different from the ones used in Fedora, that got and get
defined by the Packaging Committee.

Having special packaging rules in EPEL could afaics lead to situations
where packages aren't easily portable between Fedora and EPEL. I think
this would be qite bad and not what we want -- especially in the long term.

To avoid that I'd like to ask FESCo and the Board to clarify the
position of the Packaging Committee and its relation to EPEL as well as
what Packaging rules get used for EPEL.

It's afaics like this: The Packaging Committee handles all issues around
Packaging for both Fedora and EPEL. The EPEL-SIG can define rules about
maintaining packages in the repo (like for example the "Package
Maintenance And Updates policy for EPEL
"http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies/PackageMaintenanceAndUpdates
), but no exceptions for "theoretical" packaging (e.g. how to write spec
files) itself.

Is this correct? Do you guys want something different?

If this is correct: Can you please make something like the above
official then?

CU
thl

P.S.: This mail is my own opinion -- I'm not sending this on behalf of
the EPEL-SIG