Lessons Learned

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:23:01 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 12:04 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > > Instead, Fedora has a leadership system, which is widely being ignored
> > > by the public, unless it interferes with individual contributor
> > > interests.
> >
> > Isn't that basically how governments work?
> Temporarily yes.
>
> History tells, in longer terms such governments inevitably will die. In
> democratic systems, they sooner or later will be replaced, in absolutist
> systems these governments will sooner or later be chased or die
> lonesome.

Is this the "pure anarchy is the only true freedom!" argument? This
seems to be resolved usually by the "I have the biggest rock, do what
I say".. and then a 'government' occurs as people realize that if they
all join their rocks together they can stop the guy bullying around.

> > The *real* question: when the Fedora leadership (government)
> You are missing an essential detail: Governments must have control over
> a "people". OpenSource projects however are based on "mutually sharing
> interests", with nobody having control over anybody. If you try to
> pressurize people they will simply leave the government alone.

Governments exist because people biologically can't get along and will
try to solve/take/get things via violence. That governments succumb to
this is because they are made of people and thus imperfect. The only
long-term solution is paving over the earth, and mass extermination of
all biological entities to make sure that intelligence never
accidently appears again.