[Fwd: Re: Fedora free software?]

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 21 02:30:57 UTC 2007

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 07:31:15AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>  > > users filing kernel bugs tainted with nvidia, vmware and other crap
>  > > has been increasing dramatically. (Probably a result of compiz/beryl etc).
>  > > I really don't want this to get any worse than it already is.
>  >
>  > I did clearly specify that the driver buddy wont be installing anything
>  > at all and just pointing out users to alternatives. So I don't
>  > understand your concern here.
>
> That it's solving a problem that isn't there, and legitimising binary drivers.

How does pointing users to systems with open drivers and encouraging
their adoption legitimize binary drivers?

> We don't get hundreds of bugs saying "my 3d on my nvidia card is slow"
> we just get contaminated kernel panics.

It seems part of that is atleast because many end users haven't
understood why we don't do provide them the drivers by default. This
might help.

>  > > Popping up notifications like this isn't going to make anyone
>  > > think "Oh, ok. I'll rush out and buy a new motherboard/graphics card".
>  >
>  > Probably it won't wont immediate effects but it might influence their
>  > next buy. It will also add more pressure to hardware manufacturers when
>  > we direct users to the ones with open drivers.
>
> I wish I shared your faith.  "Don't buy nvidia" has been the war-cry
> for how many years now?  They're listening real good.

We need a more systematic way to guide users towards hardware with open
3D drivers. Just having a list of such hardware is something users have
explicitly requested before. If it doesn't have much of a effect that's
ok. We didn't install mp3 codecs by default either. Atleast we get to
explain our stand.

Rahul