Lessons Learned

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 22 08:30:38 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 22.03.2007 03:12, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>> I asked several times in fedora-devel list and fedora-maintainers list
>> without any consensus.
>
> That's why FESCo and similar committee's exists, to find the consensus.
> In this case I'd even said that could have been found in less then ten
> minutes in a meeting.

If we have to go to a committee before getting consensus on a simple
page rename we have failed in a pretty big way.

> Okay, so that means that everyone/everyone involved in the website
> content can go to the wiki now and move some things around where they
> would like them to belong? Interesting approach. To you really want that?

I did not just go into the website and start renaming pages all of a
sudden. The discussions around reorganizing them was initiated by me
months back and I have tried several times again to form consensus.So
your description of what I did is pretty misleading. I dont think go to
FESCo is the right answer here at all.

> P.S.: Sorry Rahul, but this kind of behavior is in my humble opinion
> exactly what you should *not* do when you are a Red Hat employee. We
> afaics want to get the community more involved in Fedora; but from the
> outside this and similar stuff looks like "well, I tried to ask the
> community, but they didn't find a consensus so I simply made what I
> think is right without asking anyone again". That is totally the wrong
> way to get the community involved. If you want to let the community do
> work for the project you have to give them the feeling they are involved
> in important decisions.

I am part of the community just the way you are. Artificially separating
this as a Red Hat or board vs community thing is very much damaging and
insulting to the work we do in our own time. If folks are bothered about
the change so much the right place to discuss this would have been as a
reply to my announcement to fedora-maintainers list. No one in FESCo did
and now you claim that this is somehow damaging the community involved
which I find unnecessarily dramatic. If you are making a personal
opinion that's fine. If you are speaking for the community in general
you need to be sure that more people carry the same opinion in this matter.

Rahul