Lessons Learned

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Mar 22 11:27:39 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 09:13 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > Sometimes the paid Doers have to accomplish things that are Boring But
> > > Must Be Done -- and the great advantage of unpaid Doers is that they
> > > can frequently focus on the interesting/innovative work, because a
> > > manager isn't breathing down their neck.
> > That is true, though I think I lost a lot of street cred when I got
> > hired.  Even those in the know I think don't totally trust RH's actions
> > but I'm not quite sure why.
>
> http://tieguy.org/blog/2007/01/21/red-hats-mindshare-and-my-summer-internship/
>
> Note about the conflict of interest.

To be fair, make sure you also read the next sentence, where I point
out that even though RH is unusually good on this count, it still
can't eliminate the temptation to bite the hand that feeds.

I probably should update and elaborate on this post, too:
http://tieguy.org/blog/2006/06/07/on-trusting-open-source-companies/

RH is better than Sun in that respect, but it still shouldn't be
trusted further than their legal obligations can be thrown.

Luis