GPL and storage requirements

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Mar 26 02:29:39 UTC 2007

On 3/24/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> My question is, who knows the finer details of what the GPL requires us
> to keep?

Two things:

(1) Brett Smith (FSF's GPL compliance guy) pointed me at this:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites

So mirrors can get rid of their sources, assuming you've guaranteed to
them that you'll keep them available, and likely assuming that you
notify them when the sources go away, so that their binaries can go
away. Frankly, I think their interpretation of "from the same place"
is even more strained than my interpretation of "written offer", but
hey, they are the FSF, so they get to choose these things ;)

(2) Brett says that if you'd like, feel free to contact him to answer
more questions. He is brett @ fsf . Given that they are the people
most likely to nag you about GPL violations, it seems like he's likely
the best person to ask future questions to ;)

HTH-
Luis