What do we think of this?

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 15:01:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:32:05AM -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/where_fedora_went_wrong.html
>
> Michael Schwendt has made a spirited and passionate response (thanks,
> Michael) to Caitlyn's comments.
>
> Is there any substance to these comments?

Hello Greg,

Seems to be a balance act between new development funstuff and
a more controlled environment that a bigger user base can consume.
Compared to rawhide only, using the update repos to get new
code reviewed/stabilized/integrated is a very fast and powerful
tool we have within Fedora which keeps us moving along pretty
rapidly.

We should add more dependency checks, maybe more rpmlint-type other
checks in the future. Also an automated process to move between
the "test" updates to the official released updates might be a good
idea.

>From what I've heard many Fedora users changed over to not automatically
install updates, but rather do that e.g. every 4 weeks only.

(The balance between a developer-oriented and a bigger user base will
always stay a problem area.)

regards,

Florian La Roche