Tuesday May 1 Fedora Board Meeting topics

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 1 12:46:32 UTC 2007

> One thing that has popped up to me is that if it's the 'Fedora Engineering
> Steering Committee'... doesn't Docs then fall under FESCo? (I'm not
> saying it definitely *needs* to, but it would be the logical place for
> it.)

No clear answer comes to me here.  Like e.g. Artwork, Marketing, and
Ambassadors, Fedora Documentation work is directly in the distro and
also outside of it.  If your idea is "all under FESCo,"[1] then it makes
sense.  If it is only "sub-projects and SIGs that produce the distro are
under FESCo," then I'm not so sure.  Maybe the classic dotted-line
report?[2]

For the latter, each sub-project would be responsible up through FESCo
for the parts they had to provide in producing the distro (icons,
themes, release notes, translations, etc.), the distro production being
the purview of FESCo.  FESCo can decide that e.g. content from another
party is to be used instead of Fedora Docs produced content, or artwork
from one group used instead of artwork from another.  That way FESCo can
make pragmatic decisions around release needs that don't impinge on the
legitimacy of the individual groups.  After all, there are kitten lives
at stake here!!!

There are groups whose sole purpose is distro production, but even many
of those have e.g. upstream responsibility that (I argue) shouldn't be
in the purview of FESCo to control.  For example, Dave Jones and the
kernel team make decisions about upstream interaction as part of doing
their job to produce a Fedora distro kernel; FESCo shouldn't be
empowered to get between Dave and LKML, right?

So, for the groups who have *many* activities that are outside of distro
production, those groups should report directly to FPB (or another,
non-distro focused group designated by FPB), with a dotted line report
to FESCo for the parts of the distro they are responsible for.

Just another $0.05 of an idea,

Karsten

[1]
FPB
 \=> FESCo
     |=> QA
     |=> Testing
     |=> RelEng
     |=> Docs
     |=> Artwork
     |=> Ambassadors
     |=> L10n
     \=> ...

[2]
FPB
 |=> Ambassadors -------+

--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project