Everything spin?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sat May 12 00:35:46 UTC 2007

On May  9, 2007, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> It needs to be used from test1 on to work out any particular bugs
> with creating the files as part of the compose process, and make
> sure that there isn't anything that is going to cause problems.

FWIW, I've been using it since FC5 or so, including all test
releases.  Of course not as part of the compose process, but it's easy
enough to do it afterwards, *and* the files it creates can be
published separately.  So, no biggie.  We can even do it retroactively
for older releases whenever we feel comfortable about it.

> It took a while and many tests with bittorrent before we started to
> feel comfortable.

It's a completely different kind of technology, so the additional
concern is deserved.

jigdo is more like a tar-by-reference ;-) so, in the worst case, if
it fails to build the isos, you end up with all the files downloaded
and properly laid out into an installable tree just next to the iso ;-)

> Turning this on, for the final release, without having tested it at all
> before, is not a winning prospect.

OTOH it's a no-loss prospect too.  But I appreciate your concern given
how close we are to the release.  It's a bit frustrating, however,
that this has been suggested numerous times even before FC6 went out,
and the scripts were offered back then :-(