Everything spin?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sat May 12 02:27:42 UTC 2007

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May  9, 2007, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> It needs to be used from test1 on to work out any particular bugs
>> with creating the files as part of the compose process, and make
>> sure that there isn't anything that is going to cause problems.
>
> FWIW, I've been using it since FC5 or so, including all test
> releases.  Of course not as part of the compose process, but it's easy
> enough to do it afterwards, *and* the files it creates can be
> published separately.  So, no biggie.  We can even do it retroactively
> for older releases whenever we feel comfortable about it.
>
>> It took a while and many tests with bittorrent before we started to
>> feel comfortable.
>
> It's a completely different kind of technology, so the additional
> concern is deserved.
>
> jigdo is more like a tar-by-reference ;-) so, in the worst case, if
> it fails to build the isos, you end up with all the files downloaded
> and properly laid out into an installable tree just next to the iso ;-)
>
>> Turning this on, for the final release, without having tested it at all
>> before, is not a winning prospect.
>
> OTOH it's a no-loss prospect too.  But I appreciate your concern given
> how close we are to the release.  It's a bit frustrating, however,
> that this has been suggested numerous times even before FC6 went out,
> and the scripts were offered back then :-(

Fedora Unity has had problems with jigdo like the kind I referenced
earlier, packages being obsoleted from a repository (and thus the
mirrors). Then there's the redirect perl script you want to apply, so
that you balance across mirrors, and GeoIP can give you the (most
probably) fastest mirror... Then there's the possible mirror corruption,
which makes jigdo fail if you choose to use a redirect script based on
GeoIP and keep returning the same mirror to a user that lives in the
middle of nowhere.

I'm wondering what the scripts for FC6 where about, they may be a good
start. Can you send them?

BTW, /me thinks this discussion is better of on -devel.

-kanarip