Everything spin?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sat May 12 07:06:04 UTC 2007

On May 11, 2007, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:

> Fedora Unity has had problems with jigdo like the kind I referenced
> earlier,

Sorry, I missed that.  Pointer?

> packages being obsoleted from a repository (and thus the
> mirrors).

We don't ever touch a release tree after it goes out, do we?

> Then there's the redirect perl script you want to apply, so
> that you balance across mirrors, and GeoIP can give you the (most
> probably) fastest mirror...

I'd thought of leaving the choice of server entirely up to the user.

> Then there's the possible mirror corruption,
> which makes jigdo fail

Yuck.  What kind of failure mode is that?  Retry forever, or detect
inconsistency and abort?

> I'm wondering what the scripts for FC6 where about, they may be a good
> start. Can you send them?

The scripts I posted assume one got the entire os/ or source/ tree
over rsync or some such.  I haven't ever really used jigdo in a
download-the-pieces scenario; I hadn't really thought about it very
much, I just knew jigdo could do it, and had a vague idea of how it
would lay things out during the download.

> BTW, /me thinks this discussion is better of on -devel.

Indeed.