FS/OSS license: not quite enough of a requirement

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 14 14:59:15 UTC 2007

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> The way you ask for comments in guidelines is the process I have just
>> outlined here.
>
> Except that presenting a draft if people don't even understand why any
> change is needed will just get the draft discarded as pointless, so it
> would be wasting my time and yours.

Not if you include a section called "rationale" explaining why you are
asking for the changes.

> I realize that.  I'm willing to provide the details.  But saying
> you're going to ask someone else what I mean, perhaps assuming I'm a
> proxy for someone else, is not exactly respectful.

Who said I am asking someone else?

> I thought we'd been working long enough on this for at least you to
> understand what I mean when I write "users' freedoms".  This is quite
> disappointing, because it feels like we've gone through this for a
> number of times already :-(

We have worked long enough, yes but there are several things that I am
yet to understand your position on. You talk about user's freedom but
then say that documentation or license text need not be modifiable. I
need less abstract talk and more details. Please provide them.

Rahul