summary of firstboot and EULA changes in Fedora 7

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu May 17 21:48:05 UTC 2007

On May 17, 2007, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On May 17, 2007, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> or modifying this code.
>>
>> Not quite.  Even the most liberal Free Software licenses establish a
>> few restrictions on modifications you can make

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GPL (and I think all the other common
> cases) puts a restriction on distribution, not on modification.

IANAL, but I understand at least GPLv2 imposes obligations even for
private modifications.

See section 2.

  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
     of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
     distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section
     1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

I realize there are two ways to read this:

  2.1. You may modify ... provided that you also meet all of these
  conditions:

  2.2. You may also copy and distribute ... provided that you also
  meet all of the conditions above

or as

  2. You may modify, copy and distribute, but in order to have
  permission to do all of them, you must meet all of these conditions

In the second interpretation, modification alone wouldn't bring any
responsibility whatsoever, since no other portion of the license
brings any such responsibility.

But this interpretation would render meaningless the "or if you modify
it" in the following paragraph in the preamble, that is intended,
among other things, to guide the legal interpretation of the legal
terms:

  To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid
  anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the
  rights.  These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities
  for you if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify
  it.

So I believe the first interpretation is the correct one, and that the
GPLv2 does indeed establish conditions for modification.

It's looking like GPLv3 is going to take them a bit further.

I haven't reviewed many of other Free Software licenses with so much
care, so it is quite possible that other licenses do indeed permit
unrestricted modification.

But the fact that GPLv2 may and GPLv3 will establish such conditions,
it means Free Software is not incompatible with them, and so stating
that modification is unrestricted as a general rule seems like a
non-starter.