codec buddy pain

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 18:35:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 09:37 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 21:27 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > Can't we all please stop the alarmist tone, and just try codeina once,
> > before continuing this discussion ? I am surprised how much of this
> > discussion seems to be based on hearsay or reading reviews.
>
> Another piece of hearsay:
>
> http://fedora-tutorials.com/2007/11/07/pow-codec-buddy/
>
> The sequence shown in that post has no Board-approved dialog pop-up.  It
> seems to be the standard codeina -- pop a dialog that gives the option
> to get some non-free codecs, then walk the user through a purchasing
> situation.
>
> Is that review based on an old version?

Unfortunately, I discovered last night after sending my last mail that
we forgot to add a dependency to the codeina package when we put in
nottings rewording patch that added the link to the fedora wiki. The
side effect of that is that the distro dialog ("the sermon") is skipped
unless you happen to have python-sexy installed.

This could be what you are seeing in the above walk through. This is
really unfortunate (and makes me look bad in this discussion). I have
built a fix and pushed it as a zero-day update.

Matthias