codec buddy pain

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 5 02:45:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 20:14 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/256974/
> >
> > Btw - in the interview they mention further integration of the webstore
> > into codeina/codecbuddy. If it starts looking like we're pushing closed
> > source software then that, imo, is when codeina gets dumped out of the
> > distribution.
> >
> > I don't care about needles and I don't want to ween the addicts off.
>
> Pushing or making available?  Or making it easy?

The precedent is what I'm most worried about:

we're okay having sales items for closed-source codecs in our distro
what about drivers?
what about closed-source application software? opera? matlab?

Seriously, at what point do we draw the line and what criteria do we use
to distinguish one item from the other?

-sv