codec buddy pain

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 01:29:27 UTC 2007

On 11/5/07, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Sometimes the reason "because it makes me break out in hives" is an OK answer.

Well said, its important to remember that.  Sometimes I forget.

<snip>

> I don't see a real problem with Fluendo benefiting in some fashion from
> codeina, as long as there's no lockout that prevents anyone else from
> doing the same.  Fluendo has devoted very significant resources to FOSS,
> and although the vouching in this case is in code form, the Fedora
> community has vouched for other vendors similarly before (think Intel
> for one).

I agree here.  We actually support many different companies indirectly
with our code.  Every time we integrate any APIs for an online service
we are in effect advertising and promoting that service.  We
distribute packages that integrate Google Maps, upload files to
flickr, provide interfaces to the Magnatune music store, etc.  I
personally don't have a problem with this, as all a company needs to
benefit from this is to open up their APIs and or contribute to the
same project providing the user with more choice.  Everyone wins here.
 If we ever were to exclude support for a service or product at the
expense of another one, that would be a position that isn't
supportable.

In the case of CodecBuddy things are a bit more gray because it
involves closed binaries.  The problem is that when people can't play
this media or that media they feel they should be able to they assume
"Fedora sucks! It can't play my mp3s".  CodecBuddy provides the
opportunity to explain why support for such formats isn't included.
Hopefully redirecting the users irritation to where it belongs: the US
Patent Office.  As long as we make it very clear that there are viable
alternative free formats, and that supporting the non-free formats IS
possible with existing open source code, it just isn't legal here in
the states.  I see it as an opportunity to gain support for free
software as no one is going to want to pay for the other formats
supported by Fluendo.  They are going to want to play them however and
that may motivate people to find out a bit more about why they simply
"aren't allowed".
--
Russell Harrison
Systems Administrator -- Linux Desktops

Note:  The positions or opinions expressed in this email are my own.
They are not necessarily those of my employer.