codec buddy pain

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 01:47:41 UTC 2007

Russell Harrison wrote:
> Hopefully redirecting the users irritation to where it belongs: the US
> Patent Office.  As long as we make it very clear that there are viable
> alternative free formats, and that supporting the non-free formats IS
> possible with existing open source code, it just isn't legal here in
> the states.

This is a tremendously good point, I think.  In the FOSS community I
think we have a lot of resentment towards the patent system.  But it
won't be until our users start to build up a resentment towards the
system that we actually see anything happen.  And one sure way to do
that is to make the American consumers feel that the rest of the world
has an advantage over them due to the patent laws in the country they
live in.

-Toshio