codec buddy pain

Vladimir Kosovac vnk at mkc.co.nz
Wed Nov 7 18:47:57 UTC 2007

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 21:27 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> Can't we all please stop the alarmist tone, and just try codeina once,
>> before continuing this discussion ? I am surprised how much of this
>> discussion seems to be based on hearsay or reading reviews.
>
> Another piece of hearsay:
>
> http://fedora-tutorials.com/2007/11/07/pow-codec-buddy/
>
> The sequence shown in that post has no Board-approved dialog pop-up.  It
> seems to be the standard codeina -- pop a dialog that gives the option
> to get some non-free codecs, then walk the user through a purchasing
> situation.
>
> Is that review based on an old version?

Screenshots on that page are the actual sequence on install from
DVD.i386.iso

Internode [Au] mirror still has pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/ open, this
is where I got iso image from. It looks like a final release but I have
no meanings of confirming this, other than the clues from the installed
system:

- pirut is picking up updates from updates, not rawhide repo.

- test 3 worked properly (with FAB approved pop-up). Tree for 7.92 shows
version codeina-0.10.1-1 and the one I currently have (from iso) is
codeina-0.10.1-5

- /etc/fedora-release is Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)

Vladimir