IRC and release day

Max Spevack max at spevack.org
Thu Nov 8 13:03:20 UTC 2007

Public service announcement.

I know that lots of general users tend to wander into development and
infrastructure related channels on the release day looking for help.

I ask everyone who is on Fedora IRC to be extra sensitive to the fact
that if you don't recognize someone's IRC handle, it is probably a
person who is new to Fedora and/or Linux.

It takes 2 seconds to give a curt answer, and 5 seconds to politely
redirect people to #fedora and #fedora8 where the general release
chatter will be happening.

Please err on the side of politeness, and encourage others to do so as
well, in all the fedora IRC channels.

Thank you and congrats on the release!  I hope that lots of the fedora
folks get some rest and relaxation this weekend.  I'm looking forward to
finally having some time to upgrade everything other than my primary box
to Fedora 8.  :)

--Max