3 development process improvements

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Nov 11 03:42:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 10:26:57PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
 > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:00:36 +0100
 > Florian La Roche <laroche at redhat.com> wrote:
 >
 > > I longer time between release candidates and the final release
 > > would be great. Trees are too long broken during that timeframe.
 >
 > I'd like to see some evidence to support that.  We don't create release
 > candidates until we have the tree in a shape that we think is actually
 > releasable.  Until then we're creating pre-releases, starting from when
 > we enter a deep freeze.

Not specifically the rc->final related, but the compose failed
far too often during F8.  It felt like a majority of the time the
images/ dir never got populated.

My install method of choice is PXE/kickstart, and I did a *lot* less
test installs during F8 than I did in earlier releases due to this.

The thing that really bites is that if the compose failed, that it
was often left that way until the following day (where it may fail again).
Perhaps the compose needs to be split up into multiple parts
somehow so that the latter bits can be re-run by hand without
having to wait for a full compose?

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk