Legal Update

Monkey Boy monkeyboythom at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 16:06:20 UTC 2007

To all,
I wonder if this goes far enough? Could someone not technically astute to
see that Fedora is indeed trying to coexist with usability and the letter of
the law, try to identify the XML files as the same as Bittorrent tracker
files? I know...there is a big difference between storing a key mapping file
of stolen or unauthorized copies of material versus hosting configuration
files of software that may or may not be legally acceptable around the world
(or even in just one country).

Could you turn the requirement on it's ear and be even more specific on the
Wiki page? Instead of saying here are some third parties links to stuff that
may or may not be legal in your country why not explicitly say what is legal
in what country?

You could have Third-party names listed under individual countries. (Does
the EU count as one country?) And under the United State section you can
have the sound of crickets chirping.

What I'm getting at is that by explaining what is known to be legal in a
particular country is more effective than listing out the third party links
and saying to the reader, "good luck in your country." Also, it give those
who live in a country that does not accept that as legal the ability to
judge for themselves as to whether or not they should install.

I hope I haven't confused the issue more.

Thanks,
Thom

If we link to the fedoraproject.org page, rather than include it in the

--
The difference between blogging and flogging is that flogging actually
leaves an impression on people.