Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Nov 21 14:02:40 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:07:09 -0800
> John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> === Source Code ===
>>   * Long term storage and availability of source code
>>   * ability to match source code to any released package--store for
>> four years
>>   * create source on the fly so that space is not a concern
>>   * One approach would be to change the way we tag things or to
>> disable forced tagging
>>   * Area of interest for Matt, Jef, Chris A
>
> I have to say that I'm still pretty against any strategy that has us or
> any of our downstreams relying upon us for a GPLv2 3b or 3c
> distribution method.  I feel that the methods described are entirely
> too vague and too easily misinterpreted and could easily drive Fedora
> into a "trap" of never being able to retire sources at all.

Personally I am opposed to trying to find clever ways to not needing to
host the source (rpms). Finding ways to do anything different from *just
making the sources available online* for a period of time is asking for
trouble; It should work, but what if it doesn't -or fails half-way? How
does investing in a couple of discs weigh (each release?) against the
potential legal liability of losing anything because in the past you
thought you needed some 'clever way' to make sources available.

I can't really understand though how anyone could be opposed to the
Fedora Project releasing under 3b.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip