Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Nov 21 14:30:06 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> 3 years is a long time for keeping the sources around if we generate
> them that way. It seems like we're better off in terms of space and in
> terms of being able to provide sources for the longer run if we can
> generate srpms on the fly out of cvs.

However once you choose to generate srpms on the fly out of cvs, you are
also committing to using cvs for the same amount of time. Migrating the
cvs component to anything else might show to have a huge tail and might
just not work in the sense that the new vcs might not give you srpms
with the same checksum, or <insert-favorite-unforeseen-hurdle-here>.

Besides that, generating spins off of on-the-fly generated srpms without
some repository being generated might prove to be a challenge as well
-remember downstream /can/ use 3c if FP does 3b, it can also use 3a if
they want to.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip