Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at 0xdeadbeef.com
Wed Nov 21 16:55:16 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> Personally I am opposed to trying to find clever ways to not needing
> to host the source (rpms). Finding ways to do anything different
> from *just making the sources available online* for a period of time
> is asking for trouble; It should work, but what if it doesn't -or
> fails half-way? How does investing in a couple of discs weigh (each
> release?) against the potential legal liability of losing anything
> because in the past you thought you needed some 'clever way' to make
> sources available.

There are a lot of things that we've wanted to do that this particular
requirement makes difficult.  We're looking for ways to do it that
scale and still comply with the license.  For example, if you have to
keep around a source rpm for anything that you might have possibly
ever might have distributed it makes for an explosion of disk space.
(Scratch builds?  Personal builds?)  However, sources and patches
don't explode anywhere near as quickly and if that can be carefully
archived in a way that makes the source easy to get, then we're doing
more than just complying with the license.

--Chris