Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Nov 21 17:28:52 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Yes, because then we can prune more efficiently.  As each binary
> distribution is pruned, we can prune that specific reference to a
> source package.  If no more binary distributions exist with references
> to the source package, then the actual file on the file system goes
> away.  There may be many interim updates that don't ever get included
> in any binary distribution (other than our updates directory) and would
> be pruned out automatically when the update is superseded.

On the other hand you rely on downstream to tell you when it is OK for
them to have you purge the binary (as well as the sources) all and all
not making it very manageable or even sustainable in the long run.
Committing to provide the sources for a given period of time however
let's you crontab a 'find -exec', leaving any "real responsibility" to
downstream; far more efficient and way more manageable for us, good
enough for anyone else.

BTW, these interim updates, builds or even CVS commits are not released
effectively -like you said they are never included in any binary
distribution. I'm thinking these got included in the bigger picture
somehow, while I was just talking about released updates (possibly
including updates-testing) -nothing more, not even development/.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip