Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 18:25:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:15:34 +0100
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> This branch in the discussion isn't my beef and I should stick to my
> point; giving anyone enough freedom to do whatever it is they want to do
> with Fedora, based on Fedora or rebranded FUbuntu for all I care,
> without the legal responsibilities of having to host or distribute the
> sources or creating any other type of overhead. No-one (individuals and
> small projects in particular) should care about GPL-compliance knowing
> that someone else has that area covered.

I think that is a dangerous statement to make.  If you are distributing
binaries of GPL'd work, you should care about GPL-compliance.  Making
an assumption that it is handled by someone else is putting their head
in the sand.

If Fedora is covering it for them, and they know that, great.  If it
isn't, or something changes, they should be prepared to get themselves
back into compliance one way or another.

I understand your point, but you need to be careful with how you state
your goal.

josh