Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:00:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 19:51 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> GPLv2 3b/c says you put out an offer in which the instructions are to
> obtain the sources and that any non-commercial party can forward that
> offer.

The concern is that depending on the legal interpretation of 3b and 3c
of the GPL, the clock may restart on every redistribution. So, we host a
release of Fedora for 3 years, then take it down, but on the day before
we do, someone else redistributes it and then asks us to honor our "3
years worth of source" promise, since for them, it hasn't been three
years since their initial date of redistribution.

The GPL is painfully vague on what it means here, hence Jesse's (and
historically, Red Hat Legal's) instinct to avoid invoking this.

~spot