Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:26:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:13:22 -0900
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a pile of F7 live cds. If I'm still a board member 3 years from
> now (god forbid) and I had that F7 livecd out. Is Fedora as a project
> responsible for making the source available still?

Somewhat yes.  Likely we'll demand (and help you) create source discs
to go along with those binary discs so you can hand them both out
should the recipient want them.

> Again how we are
> dealing with livecds right now makes this issue unavoidable.

Not so.  We can be responsible and correct the issue for what we hand
out in the future, regardless of when it was created.  Just create
source to offer with the binary and problem solved.

> If the
> clock starts over everytime i hand one of these officially pressed
> disks out.. you're screwed. I have enough f7 livecd disks left to hand
> out once a year for the next decade or more.  Feel free to fly up here
> and forcible take them from me.... muhahahahahahaha.

We have ways of dealing with jackasses.  Quite simply we can make a
claim that Fedora distributed it to you, and now you're re-distributing
it, and now it's -your- onus to provide either the source with it, or
an offer to get the source valid for 3 years.  We gave you no such
offer, so we're under no obligation to honor it.  (setting aside the
fact that we violated the GPLv2 when we distributed it to you without
either giving you the source or an offer for the source)

--
Jesse Keating