Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:56:08 UTC 2007

> Well, sources would need to be available for as long as downstreams
> have done a binary release based from those sources.  Whether Fedora
> hosts those sources, or Fedora says they'll host those sources for a
> period of time and then retire them, at which point the downstream has
> to pick up the sources is debatable.  Easier to manage if we provide
> hosting for as many downstreams as possible, at least the exploaded
> content so that hardlinks can be maximized.

Note that EPEL, a Fedora project, has a much longer window of usage of
packages based on older Fedora source.  Currently eight years.

How does EPEL fit in here?  Is it a downstream?

EPEL explicitly only supports what people are interested in maintaining.
I.e., a package for EPEL 5 may be orphaned after a few years.

Does EPEL's obligation to make sources available stop at that time?  Or
N periods of time after that?

What if a package is un-orphaned after that?  E.g., during year four,
someone picks up an orphaned foo.rpm.  Does that restart the clock on
making sources available?  What does EPEL do if Fedora no longer has
that source available?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.