Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 00:40:16 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 2:16 PM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> Without putting words in people's mouths, including a time frame is
> consistent with my conversation with Brett Smith of the FSF.

We've pretty much come to the point where we have to have a legal
ruling as to which if any GPLv2 or v3 "offer" clauses are consistent
with the idea of a pre-defined time frame.  The discussion of whether
or not we want to make use or encourage the use of any such clause
can't move forward until we know if setting an explicit time frame as
part of an offer does really set a limit of the project's burden to
provide source.  I've long ago given up the notion that common-sense
makes any sense when applied to legalese.

In the mean time we have to do something with regard to source
availability for at least the media images that we host. And I still
would like to see us implement srpm re-generation on demand to help
aid consumers get source for a reasonable period of time (that is
above and beyond the strict legal requirements) for
releases,updates,updates-testing and even rawhide.

-jef