Hosting and Supporting GIT conversion of Fedora CVS to enable downstream development efforts and distributions

Manas Saksena msaksena at marvell.com
Tue Nov 27 17:21:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

I would like to request support for hosting git conversion of Fedora CVS
as per Lennert's post to fedora-infrastructure-list.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2007-November/msg00136.html

While there were a few responses to the mail (both support and
skepticism) there was no clear decision.

The basic idea of this effort is to enable downstream development
efforts that make use of the fedora package repository as their upstream
source.

The specific efforts that I am interested are:

1. Building small footprint systems (for embedded systems use).
2. Cross-building (a subset of) Fedora packages.
3. Support for architectures and platforms that are not (yet) integrated
   into the Fedora project.
4. Building a GNOME Mobile distribution.

etc. Others may find it useful for other purposes.

The git tree does not have to be hosted in the fedora infrastructure,
but it seems like the natural place for it to be. It also sends the
message that the Fedora project encourages downstream efforts that can
leverage Fedora into areas that are not of direct/current interest for
the project.

So, in summary, I would appreciate if the Fedora board can consider this
request and provide clear guidance on whether this activity can/should
be supported through the fedora infrastructure.

Regards,
Manas Saksena