Hosting and Supporting GIT conversion of Fedora CVS to enable downstream development efforts and distributions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 28 14:26:23 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:

> When last I looked it sure sounded like fedora-infrastructure thought it
> was a duplication of what we already have and an odd duplication at
> that.

Atleast some people in the team seem to be supportive of that effort.

Moreover, it wasn't like fedora-infrastructure couldn't come to a
> unanimous decision on the subject, if you read the original thread it
> was more like no one cared a whole huge amount and the subject just
> died.

The question as I now see it is whether the Fedora Project Board cares
about the use cases described and wants to support that. Previous
discussions about moving to distributed SCM's were focused on the
advantages (or lack of that) to package maintainers. Atleast some
derivative distributions find it useful and moving to a distributed SCM
would avoid the need to duplicate package CVS under git.

Enabling spins was a board decision. Is supporting the needs of
derivative distributions a equivalent priority?  I think the answer to
that should come from the Fedora Project Board.

Rahul