Hosting and Supporting GIT conversion of Fedora CVS to enable downstream development efforts and distributions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 28 20:29:55 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> Are you expecting the Board to be able to anticipate all the ways the
> community members can be clever? Are you looking for unfunded and
> unmanned directives for projects that the Board would like to see
> implemented? In this specific case, I certainly never would have
> thought of duplicating cvs as git. Shame on me.

Not to such low level details but the kind of audiences we are trying to
serve. If a distributed SCM's help serve one set of audiences better,
that kind of activities needs to be encouraged. You don't have to look
at the specifics too much here. This is just an example.

> If we had to host all of Creative Commons internally, we wouldn't be
> able to do it. Supporting an externally hosted git duplication of our
> cvs is still on the table in the original thread on the infrastructure
> list.  Are we talking about linking to an externally hosted git
> duplication of our cvs?

Correct. Linking is one way to endorse the effort. If we have the
systems but not the people to do the effort, letting people who might be
interested to use our systems to do their thing is another.

Rahul