start.fp.o...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 18:57:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 10:48 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
>  Local content
> in a web browser is dumb; we only put release notes there for
> historical reasons.

As Rahul points out, this is a historical understanding only. :)  The
default home page has been useful for some time.  Also, before taking
that fuller control (and spawning fedora-release-notes rather than
rustle this into fedora-release), we did a lot of work to make the
release notes more interesting as first content.  Feature overviews were
pushed to the top of the content (and ToC), and work was done to make
those appear above the fold for most folks.  We've been doing that since
FC4 or so, iirc.

Also, considering that all of the release notes have linked to the live
version for some time, and both have a link to the common
bugs-per-release page(s), these are potentially useful for every single
user who has an issue with the release.  These features are more useful
than the standard link to report a bug that one gets in other release
notes.  This process allowed Fedora helpers (#fedora, etc.) to get bug
fix information out to the community in a rapid and efficient manner.

All-in-all, more useful than just to 1% of the users. :)

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org