permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 15:32:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 17:24 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> The only possibility I see, is to communicate this CLA to end-users
> (Those people being covered by the EULA).

We could put this in the EULA, pending RH Legal approval.

*****

1. Package Specification License:
In accordance with the Fedora Project Contributor License Agreement,
all Fedora package specifications are under:

(a) a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up, royalty free,
irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute package
specifications and such derivative works.

(b) a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up, royalty free,
irrevocable (subject to Section 2) patent license to make, have made,
use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer this package
specification and derivative works thereof, where such license applies
only to those patent claims licensable by the contributor that are
necessarily infringed by this specification alone or by combination of
this specification with the work to which you submitted the
specification. Except for the license granted in this section, the
contributor reserves all right, title and interest in and to the
specification.

2. Reciprocity.
As of the date any such litigation is filed, the contributor's patent
grant shall immediately terminate with respect to any party that
institutes patent litigation against the contributor (including a
cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the
specification constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement.

*****

We could put this text in the EULA to make things slightly more clear,
but it does not change the license status of the Fedora package spec
files (they have always been under this license).

~spot