Live Fedora start page proposal

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 01:52:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 11:31 -0400, Donald Fischer wrote:
> On 8/28/07, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >  * More useful to users.  The vast majority of the time when Fedora
> > > users are launching a new browser, they're looking to do something on
> > > the web, not to read the operating system release notes.  Thus, we've
> > > proposed to put search front-and-center.
> >
> > The current default page has quite a bit more than just the release
> > notes.  And I think that continuing to provide some of that high-profile
> > linking to community sites and documentation is important.  Yes, they're
> > in the toolbar, but the fact that they're in the page and with more
> > words than just "Planet Fedora?  What's a planet?" is pretty
> > important.
> >
> > That said, there's no reason we couldn't do that in the online page
> > which also has search.
>
> Yup, I think there's a good discussion to be had here on what exactly
> should be on the page.  Personally I'm a fan of keeping it simple, but
> I recognize that others will have good input.

Yep, and you know I always make things too complex. :)  I think this is
where a good designer comes in and finds a way to tuck a set of useful
links like have appeared in the default home page the last few releases,
but not make them overly complex.   To be honest, most of the content on
that current page could be vaporized and the links used in a clever
navigation method.  Then scroll down and see the needs-more-words "Other
Resources".  Depending onhow it is done, we could use the current
'/cvs/docs/homepage' module and just rework the layout; this lets us
start with ~70% already localized content.

- Karsten
--
        Karsten Wade              ^     Fedora Documentation Project
    quaid.fedorapeople.org        |          gpg key: AD0E0C41