permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 19:13:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:

>>> What?  That's the equivalent of saying that the GNU Make project should
>>> set the copyright on all makefiles...
>>
>> No, it's not.
>
> How is it not?  rpm.org is the upstream for rpm.  Spec files are used
> to build RPMs and are interpreted by the rpm program.  Makefiles are
> interpreted by make.
>
> Explain please.

I don't think there's any clear right answer or wrong answer.  There is
merely the expedient answer that everyone can (a) readily understand and
(b) live with.  Because really, how important is this issue?  Just because
people want to know the answer, it does not necessarily follow that people
care deeply what that answer *is*.

Having a spec file follow the license of the content it's written to
describe seems like a sensible idea to me.

Having a spec file be completely public domain also makes sense to me.

Having a spec file be BSD so that the original author gets credit for
writing the spec file also makes sense to me.

But really, how deeply should we care?  Maybe it's best to ask Spot to
make a call.  He's "the licensing guy".  Let him make a sensible decision
and move on.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg