permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 19:27:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:13:18 -0400 (EDT)
Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

> But really, how deeply should we care?  Maybe it's best to ask Spot
> to make a call.  He's "the licensing guy".  Let him make a sensible
> decision and move on.

While it's great to define a policy for Fedora, I think some of the
pressure on this issue is coming from places where Fedora maintainers
have taken specs from and modified them enough to work in Fedora.
Sometimes there is attribution, sometimes there isn't.  This led the
jpackage folks to explicitly license their specs, not sure what other
projects would do.

Personally I think this is a different issue than what /we/ should
license our specs from.  I think we need to have a clear guideline that
states if we took a spec either in part or in whole from some other
project, attribution should be given in the spec itself.

--
Jesse Keating