permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 09:42:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:36:39 -0500
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> Have we had or do we know of any actual complaints about this or are
> we oiling a wheel that doesn't actually squeak?  I can appreciate the
> perception of the problem but I haven't seen anyone actually complain.

There have been complaints.  I'm not sure how public or which medium
the complaint was made on (nor can I remember the ones I saw) but yes,
there are complaints and it is a real issue we should try to address.

FWIW I like Greg's proposal, attribution is a must, as best you can (if
you get it from somebody who got it from somebody else, but they didn't
list attribution, all you can do is attribute to the place you got
it...), and let Spot figure out a license to either explicitly or
implicitly (with documentation /somewhere/ easy to find) to place all
original Fedora specs under (WTFPL!).

--
Jesse Keating