Compose tools common use of kickstart configs (Was Re: Fedora Games Spin)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 14:34:04 UTC 2007

> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > The officially sanctioned tools for creating spins of Fedora at this
> > time are livecd-tools and pungi.  Both of these tools take as input a
> > kickstart config describing the spin they are creating.  How this config
> > is created doesn't matter, but to be branded as Fedora right now
> > requires the use of the official tools from my recollection of the
> > trademark policy and previous Board discussions.
>
> If both live cd tools and pungi can take kickstart files as input then
> has any thought been given on the possibility of merging them. At this
> point they look too similar to be separate tools to me and maybe you can
> share more code that way too.

The guts of what they do are really quite different.  In a lot of ways,
livecd-creator is really more similar to anaconda than to pungi.

But the fact that all three (pungi, livecd-creator and anaconda) use
kickstart configs is very very intentional.  The idea is that there is
one common config that can be used to describe an image regardless of
whether you deploy it by having a traditional tree + installing from it,
a live image, etc.  But that discussion is getting a bit off-topic for
here.  Reply-to: set accordingly

Jeremy