fedora.tv/plumi

andrew lowenthal and at engagemedia.org
Sun Apr 6 11:59:23 UTC 2008

Hi all,
my name is Andrew Lowenthal, I work with EngageMedia and deal with
the outreach for the Plumi video sharing platform among other things.
Greg emailed me and suggested I join this Fedora TV thread as we'd
been discussing Redhat's current use of Plumi internally for sharing
videos.

For those new to Plumi it allows users to create an out-of-the-box
video sharing site. It's GPL, built on Plone and pulls together
around 15/16 products and configures them to all work together for
video sharing/community building, eg. video podcasting, tagging,
transcoding, content licensing - http://blog.plumi.org/features/

Now obviously I am biased but I think Plumi can work for the needs
people have outlined so far, however I thought I'd address a few of
the specific needs/concerns that I saw mentioned in the threat. I've
also cc'd Karl Abbot who is managing the Redhat internal Plumi
system, he might perhaps be able to pass on access for people to have
a look around or give his own feedback on useing the system. You can
also check http://demo.plumi.org or http://engagemedia.org, which
probably the best example to date.

Regarding Ogg - Plumi uses an application called indytube to
transcode to flash and Ogg. The problem however is that embedded ogg
playback is not the best experience on any system atm imho and
doesn't compete well with flash. We're _very_ keen however to see Ogg
playing nicely in the browser. Late last year we, EngageMedia,
released a research report into FOSS codecs usability, uptake and
development. It was an attempt to create a roadmap to make Ogg a
viable option for ordinary video makers.

You can find the report here
http://tinyurl.com/yofb2g

At present we're collaborating with Micheal Dale, who is working with
Metavid on mv-embed, on a proposal to Mozilla (or any other funder
you might recommend) to development a Ogg transcoder/uploader as a
firefox addon to solve the problem of ordinary video makers generally
having problems creating Oggs. The playback would be handled inside
Plumi with mv-embed. I can send more details of this if people are
interested.

Bittorrent integration is 80% done and could probably be knocked over
quite quickly with bit of extra energy. Straight http downloads of
all videos are also available.

Content licensing is integrated and connects to the Creative Commons
API and has FDL and other custom license options also.

Hopefully the fact that we are integrated with Plone overcomes some
of the concerns about dependency (as regarding lulu falling over) but
of course you have to do your own hosting, though you could also look
at integrating with archive.org, something we're keen to explore. ATM
we're just using a single 2GHz machine with 3GB of RAM to run
engagemedia.org and also run a few other sites/mail etc. on that server.

As regards Miro, its really a front end for receiving media rather
than publishing it. Plumi is made to work quite seamlessly with Miro
however as the publishing side of the equation. All listings/
categories etc. put out a valid rss2 vodcast feed and all members
also have their own feed. Plone also makes it pretty easy to create
custom feeds based on any criteria. Bittorrent links can easily be
added to the feed for Miro to use as the first download option. Also
FYI the Miro crew's previous publishing platform, Broadcast Machine,
is now defunct.
http://www.getmiro.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=48

The Wordpress based Show-in-a-box is the only other really solid
system I know of but is more aimed at the video blogging community
rather than at setting up large scale community sites.
http://showinabox.tv/

To see more on the where we are hoping to take the Plumi development
you can see the tracker here
http://plumi.org/report/3

Any questions let me know.
Cheers.