[Fwd: Question: Will Fedora 10 Contain KDE 3.5.10 or Not?]

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 02:30:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> KDE 3.5.10 should be included as a "feature" in Fedora 10 simple because
> KDE 4.1 is still nowhere close to being ready for prime time, and still
> lacks many of the customization features of KDE 3.5.x While I may want
> to tinker with KDE 4.x and evaluate it some more, at the current time I
> do not want to rely only on an unproven, buggy GUI no matter how "great"
> its potential. Until KDE 4.x becomes more stable and more customizable,
> then both KDE 3.5.x and KDE 4.x should be included in Fedora 10 and
> future releases ( which probably translates to Fedora 12 or 13 which is
> the expected time frame for KDE 4.3 or 4.4 release).
>
> I hope you and/or the Fedora Project leader will address this question
> long before Fedora 10 is released.

/me not a member of the sig

As a KDE user I too found some quirks and bugs in KDE 4.0.  Lucky for me,
Fedora 8 is still very much supported and I do still use it on some
machines.  I look forward to 4.1 which, my understanding is, quit a bit
better.  No doubt in some small part because of our decision to present
4.0 to the masses as quickly as possible.  I think we did it before any
other major distribution[1].

I think we played this one right.  I do think it should be made more
clear somewhere that Fedora is for enthusiasts or early adopters or
something.  Some people can't keep up and they shouldn't be using Fedora
thinking that it doesn't move quickly.

	-Mike

[1] This is from my memory... didn't research it.  Please correct me if
I'm wrong.