[Fwd: Question: Will Fedora 10 Contain KDE 3.5.10 or Not?]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Aug 6 17:01:39 UTC 2008

On 06.08.2008 18:42, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:36 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 06.08.2008 15:05, Jesse Keating wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:27 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
 > [...]
>> Level 1 -- rawhide, similar to how it is today (a bit more stable and
>> less breakage would be nice, but that's in the works already)
>> Level 2pre -- things that got tested in rawhide, that are still young,
>> but known to work well in rawhide; similar to what updates-testing for
>> F9 is today;
>> Level 2 -- things that worked fine for some time in 2pre; similar to
>> what F9 is today
>> Level 3pre -- things that worked fine for some time in 2
>> Level 3 -- things that worked fine for some time in 2pre
>>
>> Level 3pre and 3 are like F8-updates-testing and F8, but with the
>> difference that everything has to be tested and shipped in level 2 (aka
>> F9) first.
>
> Interestingly, this is is sort of what Seth Vidal recently did for yum
> -- kinks were worked out in upstream and Rawhide, he has done several
> useful updates for F-9, and only recently has he bundled it up for an
> F-8 update. [...]

I liked that and it IMHO makes a whole lot of sense for most of our
other packages as well.

Something like the above was in fact the scheme that some of the long
term packagers used (and still use) during the early Fedora Extras days.
They suggested it to new packagers as well, but the idea got more and
more forgotten over time -- seems it was and is way to easy to just
import and build a new software release to all supported dists
(including EPEL :-// ) at the same time. That didn't matter much for
Extras, because most of the packages were not crucial. But it seems to
me that it's a problem in the merged world. Some user education might be
a good start to solve part of the problem.

Cu
knurd