Infrastructure update link (LATE)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 22:02:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> On Friday, 22 August 2008 at 23:36, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
>> <dominik at greysector.net> wrote:

>> > So. Now that we do have a vague idea what happened, I'd like to ask why
>> > was even that vague information withheld for so long?
>> >
>> > Not to mention there are still many unanswered questions:
>> > Which servers were compromised?
>> > How did the attacker get in?
>> > What exactly did they do?
>> > ...and a bunch of others, but let's begin with those.
>> >

>> The information is probably part of a legal investigation which
>> basically keeps it from being mentioned until various law enforcement
>> agencies allow it to be announced. Releasing the information without
>> clearance from law enforcement means charges of "interfering with an
>> investigation", "contamination of evidence" etc.. which all have nice
>> 5-20 year sentences.
>
> If that is so then it should've been said. Or is disclosing the reason
> why you can't say anything also forbidden by law?

In the events I have been in, yes it is also forbidden by law unless
it has been ok'd by the agencies and courts. [It gets even weirder if
you are dealing with multiple agencies or international
organizations.. it might be years before you are allowed to say that
French police were involved because they forgot to tell the US side it
was ok to say so.] In any case, I am just speculating and probably
causing Paul to get even a larger ulcer so shutting up now.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux